Looking for the best gas grills 2020? Here are the top 8 best gas grills tested reviews and buying guide. Read on this post till the end to buy the best gas grill today!
What is an enjoyable summer without the fun and exciting experience of sharing grilled meals? As an outdoor lover, your camping kit is incomplete without the best gas grills. Also, without the best gas grills under $500, life can quickly go out of the whole event. Meanwhile, there are hundreds of designs and manufacturers in the market. As a result, selecting the right grill might be challenging.
Hence, we have put together this comprehensive guide to help simplify your purchase decision.
What Are Gas Grills?
Gas grills are food preparation machines that utilize natural gas, propane, or butane (as the case may be) for outdoor cooking purposes. The fire comes from below, searing and cooking the food upwards. Sometimes, flames pierce the food directly. At other times, components such as grates, griddles, or pans are first heated; then, they distribute this heat to cook the meal.
There are different sizes of gas grills, depending on the type of meal you want to cook and the size of the guests you are cooking for. Some only serve tens of eaters, whereas others conveniently accommodate food for hundreds of participants.
Moreover, you can switch some grills from natural gas to propane, or butane. However, this will require a complete overhauling of the system. For instance, you will have to change the burners and temperature regulators. Common gas grill designs include:
- Built-in gas grills: these types of grills are made for the kitchen. Many times, they are purchased as core components of the kitchen equipment. Thus, you need to consider how well they fit into your home.
- Freestanding gas grills: these types are standalone, grilling units. More so, they have wheels that make them mobile and portable. Therefore, you can quickly move them from your home to the precise fun spot. Furthermore, they usually have a compartment for storing gas tanks. In addition, these best gas grills under $500 come with auxiliary warming racks.
- Best natural gas grills: for homes that have natural gas pipes, getting this type of grills are your best bet. Firstly, you have no worries about running out of gas as long as you pay the bills. Secondly, if you prefer built-in gas grills, natural gas fits perfectly.
- Propane gas grills: these types are suitable for homes without natural gas pipes. Usually, they have gas tanks that you can slot into the gas chamber of a freestanding grill. You will only have to refill often. Asides that, you can move it around without stress.
- Portable gas grills: if you are a regular outdoor adventurer or picnic lover, these types of grills are handy, compact, and often with foldable legs. Moreover, they fit perfectly into smaller spaces and decks.
- Mid Sizedgas grills: these types are the most common, thanks to their considerable cooking space that can contain almost 30 burgers. Other accessories include LED lights and backlit knobs.
That’s all with the basic introduction to gas grills. Let’s now start exploring the top 8 best gas grills tested reviews and buying guide. Also, to read the gas grill buying guide first, please skip the gas grill reviews section.
Top 8 Best Gas Grills 2020 Tested Reviews With Pros, And Cons
Gas Grills Buying Guide
Here we are going to explain all the facts and features that matter when buying the gas grill. Read on this guide till the end to buy like an expert.
How To Buy Best Gas Grills 2020, And What Factors To Consider?
Type Of Fuel Used
The two major types of fuels used for best gas grills under $200 are natural gas and propane. However, others use butane. To power with natural gas, you only need to connect to the pipes. However, with a propane grill, all you need is a tank.
Powering with natural gas is quite cheap and simple to use since you already pay utility companies every month. It saves you from the constant stress of refilling your gas tank. However, you may require the services of a technician to locate the right spot and do the fixing.
On the other side, using a propane tank requires no professional assistance. You can simply place it where you want to use it.
Effective heat distribution
Before making a final purchase, check the entire grill to ensure there are no spots hidden from the burner. You do not want a half-cooked or poorly cooked meal. Therefore, you need to make sure it distributes heat effectively.
Furthermore, you need one of the best small gas grills that cook the food thoroughly at a uniform rate, which also reduces the possibility of burning. One simple way to assess the heat distribution is to move your hand over the grates gently while observing temperature difference. Besides, grates with insulated covering tend to evenly distribute heat.
Check The BTU rating.
British Thermal Units (or BTU for short) refers to the amount of heat that reaches the grill. It can also describe how efficiently it burns fuel. However, it is not enough to go for the highest rated BTU grill. Rather, check the BTU at the burner because this is where the cooking takes place. Moreover, you need to ensure the body is sturdy enough to contain such an amount of heating.
Material of construction
The main materials for constructing the best small gas grills are stainless steel and cast iron. Each has its benefits and disadvantages. For example, when you buy a stainless steel grill, you should expect high food quality and safety. However, it is more expensive than its cast-iron counterpart, and also requires minimal maintenance.
Meanwhile, with cast iron, you can expect sturdiness and durability. Thanks to its heavy nature, it retains more heat and enhances better grilling. Besides, some manufacturers add porcelain coating for a more attractive look. However, it needs significant maintenance to retain its beauty.
Type of Burner used.
All best gas grills under $1000 come with one of the two major burners – either infrared or conventional. An infrared burner offers better heating abilities than a conventional one. This is because it features accelerated heating techniques, cooks more thoroughly, and in less time. Also, with an infrared burner, the grill reaches higher temperatures that favor better cooking.
However, for a conventional burner, it makes more sense to place it outside the house, so that hot air can escape as quickly as possible. In addition, they are cheaper for the budget-conscious cook. However, grilling takes more time.
Individual And Collective Safety
Best gas grills under $300 release enormous amounts of heat. This may be harmful in case of overexposure. Not only that but also they may release carbon monoxide to the atmosphere, leading to poisoning.
Thus, check the content of the grill, as well as the safety instructions. Ensure to follow the instructions properly to keep yourself and your environment safe.
How Do Best Gas Grills Work?
The working principle of gas grills is simple. Their essential components include a fuel tank, burner, grates, and lid (where applicable).
As stated above, the fuel could be either propane or natural gas. With propane fuel, you refill the gas at the local gas station whenever it runs out. However, for natural gas, you only need to connect the grill to the utility outlet. Also, you need to open the lid before you start so that residual gases can escape. Like a typical cooking cylinder, you turn the knob in an anticlockwise direction for gas to come out. Then you ignite the gas. For some best gas grills, they use an automatic ignition system that requires only a push. Others make use of matches or lighter.
Meanwhile, if your device features a conventional burner, you might need to wait for about 15 minutes before you start grilling. Once you release the gas valve, the ignition quickly produces a flame that heats up the whole system. Depending on the type of burner, the heat circulates to the griddles or grates for you to begin cooking.
In addition, some best gas grills under $1000 come with more than one burner. With these burners, you can increase your cooking space to accommodate more chicken, turkey, burger, or whatever you might be preparing.
How To Cook On A Gas Grill?
Before you proceed to grill, ensure you have the materials put together to prevent endless going around. Also, you need to thoroughly clean the gas grill because oils from previously cooked foods might have spilled on the grates and burners. At times, these stains may also clog the holes. Thus, without adequate washing, the stained part may begin to rust.
When you are ready, make sure that there is fuel in the tank, whether you are using propane or natural gas. In addition, you need to carry out a mini-cleaning session to prepare the grill for use. Once you are done, ignite the gas using the electronic ignition system or matches.
Besides, almost all the best gas grills under $300 come with a regulator, which you can use to control the flow of gas and the resulting temperature. Furthermore, other gadgets come with thermometers that display the temperature.
If you plan to roast poultry such as chicken, turkey, or other slow cooking meals, you might need a rotisseries kit. With this kit, you can turn the meat around automatically for thorough cooking, and also prevent it from burning.
Tips On How To Use The Best Gas Grills Best Way!
- Ensure that your grill is clean every time, especially after each use. A neat grill reduces the possibility of flare-ups and smoke.
- Do not overload the grates (or griddles) so that you quickly move the food aside during flare-ups. Also, in case the flare-up spreads, just remove all the food; the fire will die out naturally.
- Be careful with foods that have high sugar content because they have a high susceptibility to charring. To prevent this, use the “low and slow” grilling technique.
- Keep your eyes on the grill every time. Distraction is the highest cause of burnt foods. Hence, ensure all your cooking materials are available before you start.
- Check the gas tank before turning it on. You do not want to disappoint anxious guests, waiting for the taste of chicken, burgers, or turkey because you ran out of gas.
- Use the regulator to put the temperature under check. When it gets too high, it might burn your food. If it is too low, cooking will take a longer time.
Best Gas Grills Benefits And Reasons To Buy
- Produce massive heat: best natural gas grills have the potential to generate an enormous quantity of heat in less Typical grills reach 700˚F comfortably. At the upper end of the products, some reach 1000˚F with ease. This is sufficient for any type of grilling exercise.
- Supports instant ignition: once you are ready to begin cooking, ignition happens in a twinkle of an eye. As soon as you open the gas valve, simply press the ignition button or turn the knob. You can commence grilling immediately.
- Rapid preheating: unlike charcoal grills that may take up to 20 minutes to reach preheating temperatures, the best gas grills under $200 require only a couple of minutes. They have an efficient, accelerated heating mechanism. Consequently, the grates get hot quickly after an effective heat circulation.
- Effective temperature control: with food thermometers, you can monitor the gadget, as it is getting hot. More importantly, you can manipulate the heating to suit your tastes. For instance, you can switch to the left side, if that side is not getting enough heat.
- Multifunctional units: best portable gas grills perform a variety of functions, apart from primary heating. For gadgets with double or triple burners, you can perform indirect grilling for slow-cooking foods. You can also use it to warm the chicken or burger without the fear of burning.
- Simple and straightforward: generally, the best portable gas grills are very easy to use. You need no technical expertise or professional assistance to get it up and running. They are quite intuitive for every range of users. Besides, it requires no guesswork since starting it only needs a push or a twist.
Gas Grills Maintenance Tips
- Carry out a preheating session before you start grilling to sanitize your gadget and improve food safety.
- Use a grill brush to scrape residue before a thorough washing for a cleaner cooking surface.
- Once you remove the last burger or chicken, increase the grill temperature to burn spilled grease or fat.
- Gently wipe off the stains with a damp cloth placed in soapy water.
- Wash the grates thoroughly after about ten usages to keep it sparkly and in shape.
- Scrub the internal part of the grill to remove the accumulated stains and spills.
- Clean the grease drip container after multiple uses.
Best Gas Grills 2020 Faqs
How to light a gas grill?
If your grill has an electronic ignition mechanism, just turn the knob after releasing the gas valve. Otherwise, use a lighter or matches.
How to clean a gas grill?
After each use, remove the individual components like grease pan and grates. Then, get a soft linen and a bucket of soapy water. Use it to wash off the stains.
How to clean gas grill grates?
Stains and spills on grill grates are tougher to remove. Therefore, you need a grilling brush to scrub the surface before washing with soapy water.
How to grill steak on a gas grill?
Arrange the steaks carefully on the grill gates; cook until a golden brown color emerges. Turn it intermittently to prevent burning.
How to cook burgers on a gas grill?
Preheat the grill to an appropriate level; rub oil lightly on the burgers before placing them on the grill grates. Watch closely for the golden brown color.
How long do you cook burgers on a gas grill?
With an average temperature of about 375 ˚F, it takes almost 6 minutes or less to cook burgers properly.
How to grill ahi tuna on a gas grill?
Firstly, rub some olive oil on the fish. Then, add some salt and pepper. You may also add avocados or other veggies. Finally, place the ahi tuna on the grills for about 3 minutes or less.
How to cook a pork loin on a gas grill?
Pork requires minimal heat so, place on the indirect burner or turn down the temperature regulator. It requires about 30 minutes to reach 150 ˚F when it is ready.
How to cook ribs on a gas grill in foil?
Arrange the ribs on the grill and turn down the amount of heat. Cover the lid and wait for about an hour.
How to BBQ ribs on a gas grill?
Employ the low and slow technique to cook the ribs thoroughly. Place the ribs on the indirect burner, while adding apple juice and barbecue sauce at about 30 minutes intervals.
How to grill chicken breast on a gas grill?
Use a temperature of about 425 ˚F for about six minutes for a side till the internal temperature reaches 165 ˚F. Turn the chicken breast constantly to prevent burning.
How long does it take to cook chicken on a gas grill?
It takes a maximum of 12 minutes.
How to grill hamburgers on a gas grill?
Add some olive oil to the hamburger before putting it on a grill. Place the hamburger on the hot grates; after 2 minutes, turn to the other side. When the inner temperature reaches 160 ˚F, you can remove it.
What temperature to grill steak on a gas grill?
Effective grilling requires a temperature of about 450 to 500 ˚F.
How to smoke on a gas grill?
Firstly, soak wood chips in water for half an hour. Then, sprinkle them in the smoker box before igniting the gas. This makes your gas grill emit smoke.
So, that’s all for today. Stay tuned with The Keen Hunter for more such products and buying guides. Thanks for reading this post exploring the best gas grills at our website.